USAF SERIAL NUMBER 55-4757
This military version of the Convair 340 airliner was used to transport personnel, staff transportation and support missions at Duluth by the Minnesota Air National Guard’s 148th Fighter Group during the late 1970s and early 1980s. The Convair CV-240/340/440 series design began life in a production requirement by American Airlines for a pressurized airliner to replace the classic Douglas DC-3. Convairs original design had two engines and 40 seats thus it was designated the CV-240.
The Convair 240/340/440 series was used by the USAF for medical evacuation, VIP transport and light cargo. The first model Samaritan, the C-131A, was derived from the CV-240 model and was delivered to the USAF in 1954. An earlier trainer model designated the T-29 “Flying Classroom” was also based on the CV-240 and was used to instruct USAF navigators for all USAF aircraft and later was also used for aeromedical evacuation. There were a total of 472 T-29/C-131 aircraft built for the USAF.